August 11, 2010

I Ride a Bike in a Skirt

My small thrill of the week is making my morning bike ride to the office in a skirt. Because of the difficulties this entails I try to limit my skirt-wearing to once a week. It would not be so bad, I suppose, if I didn't have a preference for skirts that sit just above my knees. The blessing is that today's skirt does not like to get caught in every passing breeze ( I own two like this, I don't know why).

There's nothing quite like feeling the rush of wind by your upper thighs when the streets are still pretty quite for a morning in a bustling metropolis. Also, it makes me less self conscious when I see women getting on bikes in dresses; to me this is even more challenging.

Every day lately I've been getting off the morning train and getting my first view of the city. As cheesy as it sounds I am filled with a great love for the place in which I live. I know a lot of people can talk to no end about their home towns. Good. Let it stay that way. While I have a comparatively small sense of nationalism, my adoration for my home city rises like the mountain I see every morning.


I celebrate life by riding a bike downtown in a skirt, and loving every minute of it. I wish you all an equally joyous experience.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hey!

I read your comment on Surburban Yogini, and the like 'I ride a bike in a skirt' had me intruiged, so I clicked! Just wanted to say hello and pass on my utmost respect - I've tried and failed to combine cycling and femininity all too often ;-)