August 27, 2010

Buyer's Remorse

I keep regret in a cookie jar in my mind. I don't like the feeling, although I probably shouldn't be associating it with cookies. Baked goods are my friend.

I signed up for Frosh at my University thinking it would be fun to do some legitimate first year stuff. I learned two things: 1) I'm turning into a crotchety old lady at 21 and 2) Not fitting in still hurts.

Sure there was drinking, and one should never complain about free drinks. However, the froshies were mostly young people from outside my province (and country) where the drinking age is higher than here. I did the alcohol thing when I turned 18 (as per legal drinking age, yes I'm boring), so getting drunk off my arse has lost its' novelty, and some of its appeal.

I was the freak for being older and a first year. The real reason for being in my situation doesn't matter. When someone hears that you're 21 and entering University in Canada, they feel  you might have screwed up along the way.

I didn't though, I just went about things the unconventional way. Doing so has landed me my job, my skills and the lifestyle I maintain. The only think I regret is being left behind by people my own age.

All that to say, I dropped out of Frosh after the first night, went over to a friends' place. We made dinner, had plenty of wine and it was better than any Frosh I could have had.

It might not be perfect, but it's my life.

No comments: