May 12, 2011

The Rut

Many years of schooling (I don't want to count, it would be too depressing) have trained me to think in a certain way. Despite evidence to the contrary I still think of life in terms of chapters entitled Semester and Summer. Learning and paper writing compose the former and leisure and pleasure occupy the latter. I don't think that this is what teachers intended. This is probably why I'm still offended and slightly betrayed at the fact that I'm working when I should be lounging.

I am aware that certain schools are altering their system so that the year is composed of three terms rather than two. These terms are broken up by breaks lasting at least a month and the time spent in school is shortened. Technically, the length of an academic year stays the same, what changes is the sequencing. I like it and I don't like it. But I think the dislike stems from the long-developed habit of having a three month summer break during which I could forget about school completely. In terms of practicality it makes complete sense for both the teachers and students.

Even though I technically don't have to think about school until September (What? Old habits...) I have discovered that text books will not rain down from the sky if I attempt to do some learning outside of Semester. I find myself laughing at how belief can become entrenched in action to the point where it is no longer questioned. When an Anthropology professor brought it up I didn't get it. Now I do.

Lecture recordings, videos and transcripts from major universities are being made available for free online. They are not for credit but rather for the joy of learning. For a long time the concept of 'pleasure learning' was baffling; 'why would you subject yourself to more schooling than you have to?' I would ask. I have to say, I get it now.

Without the added pressure of reading, deadlines and grades, listening to lectures becomes a pleasurable experience. I'm slowly breaking *is that a badger!?* years of habit and it feels both weird and nice. Although, have some sympathy for the people with whom I shall converse, because I like to share the things I learn. Hold on to your ears folks because I'm about to talk them off.

No comments: