June 9, 2011

Drama Fish

I hadn't realized my fish were Drama Fish until they had fully adjusted to life in their new tank. Now, the mornings when I roll out of bed, there they are, bobbing expectantly at the side of tank closest to my bed, mouths doing that fishy openey-closey thing. I turn on the tank light and they frantically dart close to the surface.

That in itself is not overly dramatic, but then I found out what they do when I don't feed them enough. If they have deemed the Food That Desendeth From Above is inadequate, they will dive dramatically to the bottom of the tank and begin desperately (and a little judgmentally) searching for scraps in the gravel.

With a little work I could probably turn them into self-cleaning fish as long as they stop judging me. But that's just the morning routine.

When I come home from work and plop myself on my bed they all come fluttering over. Once again they watch me. I'm told that they cannot see through the glass of their tank and yet somehow they know when I'm there. Oh, my needy Drama Fish.

Thunderstorms, flickering lights and blown fuses which cause their tanks to shut down don't faze them in the least. But don't feed their royal fishninesses to their satisfaction and they'll make you pay.

No comments: