It is officially September in Montreal, folks. After an astoundingly humid week the weather has turned, as it always done, towards the colder side of things. I feel that Mother Nature, while maintaining the illusion that adheres to our little calendar, enjoys throwing the occasional curve ball to see how we react. And react we do.
This past week has been a blur of humidity in which I began my first semester at University. I love living in a city where everything is within reasonable walking distance. The campus is vast and there are many places where one can hide from the sun.
You have probably figured this out already, dear readers, but it must be said. In my quest to maintain semi-consistent updating habits, you have caught me at a time of low inspiration. More than likely this is due to the shift in my daily routine. Prior to this week I pedalled into the office every morning (earlier than most), settled myself into whichever desk I was occupying that week and proceeded to spew creativity into my morning writing. Trust me, that image was definitely more attractive in my head.
My morning serenity - and possibly my steaming mug of creamy coffee - contributes greatly to my creativity. For the past week, if I'm not in class, I'm traipsing up and down the Hill on which some brilliant scholars of old decided to place their University. One mountain on an entire island and my school has to be on top of it. On that note, three of the city's hospitals are also built onto the mountain. Questioning these decisions occupies a good portion of my morning hike (the rest is filled with under-breath cursing).
As I might have mentioned before, the primary focus of much of my artwork is people. I adore watching people when they don't know I'm watching them. I like to observe body language and especially facial expression. This habit probably explains why I took to photography. As I make my way briskly along campus paths, I see the lawns bestrewn with students in various states of repose. Each time I see a well places subject, I kick myself for leaving my camera at home because my backpack was too heavy that morning.
To amuse myself for this coming week (I find I like to make theme weeks) I shall take pictures of people on campus. With four Universities in its' downtown core alone, Montreal residents are used to having all manner of media equipment pointed their way. By means of this undertaking, I shall force myself both to use my camera and to update consistently. Two birds with one proverbial stone and all without animal cruelty.
I wish you all a good week, hopefully the colder seasons dawdle on their way to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment