September 13, 2010

Uphill, Downhill...Repeat


The quality of this image is not ideal; however, the content is significant. That man over on the right, in the vaguely discernible top hat is the veritable god of rock: Slash. Seeing him play was well worth the 4 hour drive to the middle of nowhere.

Although it renders this exercise pointless, I cannot begin to express the fantastic nature of this concert. Slash, his band, and singer Myles Kennedy have a live act that struck my very being (although that might have been the base vibrations). The band played some Guns 'N Roses songs (Civil War, my all-time favorite), some Velvet Revolver and some material from Slash's latest album.

I do not know why I was so aware of this next fact but I don't recall a rock concert being as rigidly timed as this one. Bands came and left and even encored exactly on the hour and half hour. They did one song for their encore, then promptly left. Perhaps I have illusions about rock, but I was under the impression that it is a more free-spirited medium.

Handsome Lad did inform me about a rather big name band that played in our City recently who decided that the imposed noise licence was not during an appropriate "rocking" time. They purposefully came onstage late, got through half their set and suddenly, at the hour appointed on the licence, the plug was pulled and the lights shut down.

City is not a small town, it is a metropolis. I do not know how true this story is. Personally, I would rather not believe that such things happen. I'm Cleopatra, Queen of denial.

~~

Good news! My uber-fitness regime began today. Memories of early mornings came flooding back as I rolled out of bed at 5:30 this morning. Yoga is worth it, I keep telling myself.

When I asked 'who builds a University on top of a mountain?' (which I do every morning) I was unaware to what extent the campus ... extended. I now include, in my query 'who puts a gym at the top of a mountain?'. Clearly, mine does. I must work out before I work out. And no, I do not consider a hike a 'warm up'.

All that being said, it really does feel good to work out. I hope this new routine assuages my guilt of spending so many hours in my day seated.

I wish you all a good week, I know I will be trying to have one.


No comments: