January 30, 2011

Cupcakes

One might say that the them if this past week has been little indulgences. One might even say that I have been eating my fair share of cupcakes lately (oh, for once I actually manage to tie my title to the post!).  I have indulged my girly side by getting my first ever manicure - which I managed to ruin in the first five seconds after getting up from the chair. But, all is well; most of my fingers are still evenly coated with a fantastically lustrous purple-navy-blue.

I indulged my inner chubby by making the cupcakes I have always dreamed of: fluffy vanilla puffs topped with a luxurious swirl of chocolate frosting and a dash of colourful sprinkles. They are almost too pretty to eat - almost.

Finally, I indulged the child in my by taking the Lad out for a moonlight toboggan run. My spine has much to regret but I keep grinning. I don't know which is more fun:  shooting down a hard-packed slope until you come to a graceful stop, or going airborne over a massive bump and coming down head over heels and sliding the rest of the way on a now very sore behind. The hill is part of a local golf course but is transformed into a wicked sledding run in the winter. The bumps resemble a mogul run on a ski hill rather than a harmless jump which results in a lot of arm-failing and many a wipeout.

It is important not to forget that some of the best activities involve reverting to a time where we were a little bit softer and bundling up involved a snowsuit which looked like the illegitimate child of nylon and chemical warfare. And of course, hot chocolate and cookies are the timeless reward. If I were to spend all my time focusing on school reading, papers and work projects I don't think winter would have quite the same allure. My inner child still would rather play than go to school.

1 comment:

Debbie T said...

I can't remember the last time I had a cupcake! My inner chubby is protecting the outer chubby at the moment while it's slimming back down. :=)