February 7, 2011

Morning Radio

Einstein's theory of relativity, though contrived to explain the behaviour of time can be extrapolated (if only to amuse me) to various other aspects of my life. For instance, the Theory of Relative Cold: when -5°C is considered pleasantly warm because the previous few days have been spent at the -28°C mark. There is also the Theory of Relative Weight applied to things you happen to be carrying and the Theory of Relative Taste.

I'm riding the wave of high spirits that accompanies a break of mild temperature. Like the spherical grey squirrels that populate the yards in the fall I grow plump on the joy of baking. My family has not an iota of complaint when I place a pile of freshly baked cookies on the kitchen table. My recipe browsing has coughed up a winner this time. Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies, so luxuriously creamy that it's almost a sin.  I extend them unto you, my no-doubt salivating readers.  If you do feel like partaking in these little gems, consider the following modifications:

If you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp salt to the dry mix. Also, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract instead of the recommended amount will make the cookies sing with tastiness. I only used half the recommended pudding mix the first time I made them (because I bought only that much) but they are wonderful despite that. Finally, as a treat to myself I used half milk, half white swirled chocolate chips (think Hershey's Hugs but in chocolate chip form), I don't know if you can get them everywhere.

Today, my reasons to be cheerful include the fact that the sun was good and up when I stepped out the door, the weather was mild, there's snow (as usual) but for the most part is has been neatly piled to the side and CBC Radio 2 feeds me song after happy song. If only all my mornings could begin with a steaming cup of tea and the joyful burbling of a radio.

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: