February 10, 2011

Despite Gravity

Try as it might, winter has not managed to sweep my feet out from under me (in the entirely unromantic, if somewhat painful sense) and land me on my backside. This is not for lack of trying. In fact, my sphere of the universe has been dropping extremely unsubtle hints that I am due for an icy tumble. I'm not one to believe in signs (at least not on a regular basis) but when several things I touch become subject to increased gravity in rapid succession then I start to wonder.

My concern grows when I notice hundreds of slick ice bubbles lurking beneath the brown-grey snow. These little villains are the result of the day-to-day sidewalk trample. They need only to catch one boot unaware before you are sprawled unceremoniously on the sidewalk. I've been stumbling.

My trepidation grows ever greater when the first step in a snow-clad flight nearly tips me over backwards. I'm normally so good at stairs and I've been lucky to not have my head meet concrete on several occasions. There is reason to believe that winter is not quite done with me yet.

---

I type this between bursts of scholarly inspiration. With a week left to go before spring break (cruelly termed "Reading Week" at my University) there has arisen, seemingly from the void, a pile of tasks taller than I wish I was. Sadly, you cannot sit for a midterm exam before the day you are due to sit, so I cannot get that out of the way early. However, the aforementioned burst of scholarly inspiration has led to the completion of one assignment.

---

 Monday is not a romantic day (since the Lad and I spend most of it apart), therefore romance is relegated to the days leading up to and following that particular day. I wrote a love letter on butterfly paper and sent it in a yellow envelope. I am told we shall go skating this weekend. You may now remove all rom-com flashbacks from your mind; we do not teeter and we do not fall comically into each other's arms. It is less about appearing vulnerable and more about doing infinite icy laps until we cannot feel our ankles and skating hand in mittened hand. Of course, there will be showing off on both sides, although I will concede that the Lad is a better skater than me (I envy his hockey skates, they do not have malicious little toe-picks). However! and this is important: I can spin in a circle without falling over. You may now applaud.

Of late my mind has been occupies with the construction of tales. I will be glad to share them with you in the near future. Deep down, we all want to curl up with a blankie and hear stories.

No comments: