January 15, 2011

Oatmeal Packets, or A Certain Day in January

Not every day is about my life being fantastic, or at least I don't share as much. But today is going to revolve around making January 15th fantastic for a woman who is so dear to me.

That's my Mom, today is her birthday. And because we are both ladies I shall not divulge her age to the internet. My Mom has round, rosy cheeks and she still gives me hugs as if I was a six-year-old leaping into her arms.

She won't see this, and I don't think I would want her to be reading my blog, so I can be as sappy and candid as I like. She let me grow up to be me by allowing me to try on as many shoes, hats and finger-less gloves as I liked. The fact that I am happy with my life is enough to please her. For that, and so much more I am grateful. She took belly dancing classes with me, taught me to cook and bake, encouraged me to knit, fawned over my drawings and laughed at my attempts at wit even when the language and subject matter went over her head. She loves all my friends, cares for the Lad and puts up with me (most of the time) when I'm in a sullen mood.

I am proud to call myself her daughter and I hope to make up for those years when I wasn't aware of how lucky I am.

Mom, you make my life fantastic.
Love,

Katherine

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Aw your Mum sounds (and looks!) amazing :-) Happy Birthday!

It's funny, I feel the need to make up for those many years when I didn't appreciate my Mum, too - I am determined to make her see how amazing she always was, even though I was telling her otherwise at the time.