January 8, 2011

Reading

School has been in session for almost a week and I am determined to keep my spirits in an entirely un-dampened condition. It might me necessary at some point to employ a rain slicker and some brightly coloured boots but certain bridges shall only be crossed upon arrival, as some say.

I managed to get my self into class which all involve a heaving reading list. All my professors have warned us of an expected 100 pages each week. I shall not be dissuaded, for I find it all very exciting. The only thing about which I am disappointed is that my pleasure reading might have to drift to the side for a time. That is as well, I can only keep so many pockets of information straight at one time without going completely bonkers.

I have the feeling that this state of affairs is going to become constant. At this time I have a course packet spread out over the lower half of my laptop  and am curled up under a fuzzy blanket because my north-facing room is miserably chilly. I can only drink so much tea. It is also unfortunate that I cannot read, take notes on said reading and knit at the same time. If I could do that I think my nails and cuticles would be in all the better condition for it. I have a tendency to shred the skin on my thumbs when I am antsy, which is often.

On the needles presently are two rather lengthy projects. I am currently on sleeve number 2 of a tubey sweater (which might or might not be completed by next winter, she thought with a wry smile) as well as a scarf emblazoned in my University colours with some colour-work lettering at either end. Since taking up knitting this is surprisingly my first scarf; I might as well construct some school spirit while I'm at it.

McGill University
It is at least reassuring to know that my lovely digital SLR (birthday gift to myself, thank you very much) is getting a work out taking copious photos of my knitting. First kittens, now stitching; and to think I was planning on being all artistic with this contraption.

This pattern is a simple knit tube with the text pattern repeated twice in a row, that way I get to hide all those nasty loops. I got the concept off Ravelry, where one of the members was lovely enough to devise the grid for the text. But I shall be experimenting with my own alternating stripe pattern. Let's face it, I don't want to be exactly like the original that is apparently floating about my campus, somewhere.

I love having a comforting hobby I can turn to when confined to the house by blisteringly cold winds. While everything else is in constant transition, at least I can count on my brimming project basket. And if I can knit and talk at the same time then I must also strive to knit and read. I've been thinking of rigging up some kind of music stand contraption so that I wouldn't have to stoop.

The flu is now rampant so I must be cautious. The Lad has been taken down by some malevolent germ which leaves him presently abed. I must make my own entertainment this weekend, and if one chooses to accept a pile of course reading as suitable entertainment then I'm all set. What's the point of having a vocabulary if one isn't entitled to stretch a definition from time to time.

I hope, dear readers, that you manage to escape the flu this season. Although with all the sniffling which abounds within my trusted haunts I feel I shall be navigating the proverbial minefield for the next few weeks.

Having now exhausted my procrastinating options, I return to my reading. At least with this rather long post, I shall have shared some of the misery, as it were.

Cheers everyone!

No comments: