July 7, 2011

Top 5 Unfinished Projects - First Edition

In total defiance of claims made in my last post I have actually gone and finished something I set out to do. However, I don't consider this to be the start of a new habit.

To recap: I love starting projects and amassing materials (I won't take you through the whole list this time). I have a memory like a sieve and the attention span of a sugar-high flea. So on that note, let's jump right into my first list.

Top Five Works-in-Progress

Number One: My First Pair of Socks


 At this rate these will be my first and only pair. Originally intented for the Lad who, for reasons that boggle the mind, insists that he will only ever wear black tube socks. That's what real men wear, don't you know? None of this ankle-length, breathable, coloured sillines.

Not wanting to do black socks as my first attempt at knitting them (how will I see those blasted stitches?) I compromised to charcoal. I picked a simple pattern and off I went. I succeeded in making the first sock but let's not talk about how it fits me and is slightly loose at the heel.

Not to be discouraged I cast on sock number two. I have the cuff done. I can almost guarantee you that when I finish that one, I will have two socks of varying length and oh, how the Lad will laugh at me.

Number Two: Not-So-Sweet Hexagon Cowl


I saw this in a Modular Knitting magazine. No, not that which is pictured above. Trust me, it's much nicer than that. In fact, here's what I fell in love with.


Courtesy of Interweave Press.
Do you see those hexagons? Each and every single one is knit onto the previous one. Separately. This is going to take me a while.

Number Three: First Page Syndrome


I collect journals and sketchbooks. Not to use mind you. I love stroking the smooth, creamy pages. I like to compare the composition of journal pages. I will ponder endlessly on the pitfalls of spiral-bound books. I can't bring myself to besmirch that virginal first page.

So my work begins on the second or third page. Inevitably I will write or draw something of which I am less than proud. Or it doesn't fit with the theme I had assigned to that particular volume. Pictured above are just some of my unfinished journals. I don't try and fool myself into thinking that this blog won't be considered one of them someday.

Number Four: Lacking a Background


Much like my journals, drawings often linger in various states of half-doneness. This tends to irk me most of all because characters such as Moneybags Molly (above), sit in my head for months until I get their concept out on paper.

And then the Beast of Perfection rears its lavishly coifed head and puts the fear of ruin in me. I stop drawing for fear I will damage the image beyond repair. And then the character will hant me forever. You don't want to know how many of these follow me around at any one time.

Number Five: Abandon Ship!


With available space in my room at a premium, why would I ever - ever - take up a scale model? Is anyone interested in a model of the USS Constitution? I'll finish it if you take it off my hands, please.

Oh, because scale models are fun, right?

No comments: