April 13, 2011

Daydreams

I don't like the term 'plugged-in' when referring to today's modern society but it becomes hard to deny at times. And here I am aware of my own involvement - my headphones are in my ears whenever I commute and my cell phone is never really off. I heard it said, by a classmate doing a presentation on the topic of technology, that we fear boredom and thus fill the minutes of our day with trips into cyberspace. Not in those exact words mind you, I haven't heard the word 'cyberspace' used in quite a while although possibly ironically or by scientists who study the effects of technology on society.

So from that digression I'm diving back into boredom. It would be unfair to say that the imagination is just an avenue by which we escape boredom. Letting the mind wander is not the opposing force to productivity. In fact, I have of late been surprised at how much time I can spend on imaginings. This morning I dwelt on a scenario in which I united the young adults of Canada under one political banner and became the prime minister. Ok, even I had to laugh at that. The upcoming elections have obviously been weighing heavily on my mind as I ponder the lack of enthusiasm from the majority of people my age. That being said, I have never been overly interested in politics but as I am of the age to vote I feel I deserve to be heard. Politicians seem not to agree with me.

Students don't vote because they are not targeted by politicians and feel it wouldn't do any good. Politicians don't target students because they don't vote. And the wheels keep on turning. We are dismissed by those in positions of authority with a pat on the head and a list of generalizations which include (students will always complain about the education system, that's what students do). It's this kind of "they'll get over it when they're older" attitude that has me up in arms. In a few years time I'll be starting a family of my own, getting a permanent residence and a permanent job but I don't want to wait that long (and nor should I have to) for the powers that be to take me seriously.

So before I end this little political rant and get back to my regularly scheduled blogging I hereby address the young people of Canada. Please vote. It is necessary and it will make a difference. At the risk of sounding redundant, I'll just end this segment with a clip from Rick Mercer. He is much more eloquent on this point than I can ever be.



A note to my non-Canadian readers:

I have no interest in revealing my political alignment and I thank you for bearing with me as I discuss a matter that is of great importance to me.

No comments: