December 29, 2010

Gray Days

Going to work during the holidays is very peaceful. There is a noticable and pleasant lack of crowds, pushing and lines. I can indulge in personal space - the things we can come to appreciate on a morning commute. I don't mind coming in to the office, in fact I need a break from the whole holiday at home thing.

That being said, Christmas was lovely. There was good old Polish food, which I am still eating leftovers of, thank you very much. I have boxes upon boxes of chocolate to get through (this is going to hurt later) and I was allowed to lie around and read for hours. I found that I no longer read as fast as I did in high school, and this does not bother me very much. I no longer feel the need to judge my prowess at reading by how many books I can be reading at once or how fast I can get through them. However, I do wish to be faster if only to get to the books sitting further down my list.

This talk of books makes me excited to start the Reading Challenge - the challenge is in the sheer volume of books to read but also in the writing about them. But you've already heard this. So, back to Christmas.
There is nothing profound to say about that other than we managed to remain mostly sane. The Lad and I spent more time together this past long weekend than we have in previous holidays; we even found time to go cross-country skiing.

My first year giving knitted gifts was well recieved. Coworkers and family alike were pleasantly surprised by my cozy little delights. It feels so good to get all those things out of my room and into the arms they were meant for.

In an aside, I'm looking to expell my more rebellious and angry thoughts. I get frustrated, much like many people my age at being in that middle ground where no one takes us seriously but still demand complete submission and respect from us. The twenty-somethings: largely belittled in favour of the thirty and fourty-somethings, whose complaints of personal crises are spattered throughout the media genres.

The original purpose of this blog was an exercise in positive thinking, and I would like to keep it that way. So in the coming year I shall be branching out in my writing, seeking to examine the plight of my much-maligned age group.

Let us end on a good note (how's D? *ducks*) and look forward ringing in the next fantastic year.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Debbie T said...

Thank you for reminding me what my blog was originally intended for as well. Knitting and postivie juju. :=) Bring on 2011!!

Debbie T said...

Geez, first I better learn to proofread, huh? That was supposed to be *positive*. (wink)