Twitchy fingers are an expensive affliction. Let me explain.
The affliction goes by many names, more commonly: fidgets. But because I am more affectionate towards my appendages I refer to their constant need for motion as the Twitches. I cannot say that I was raised on manual labour but there was a certain appreciation for working my hands that has slowly been nurtured over many years. However, it has left me with a rather frustrating habit: I need to be constantly working on a project.
You, dear reader, might be thinking that it is better to be ever working than to be bored and idle. I suppose I can be convinced into seeing things your way but I plead the case of the proverbial grass being greener. Those who are bored wish for something to kill their perpetual ennui but most of the time cannot be bothered to commit to an activity. The opposite is true of myself; I sometimes find myself longing for idleness and a lack of ideas but I know that it will never be so.
And here's where the expensive part comes in although you have probably figured it out already. Hobbies are costly, especially when starting one up. I'm not going to spend this post griping about the price of craft supplies, it's just one of those things.
I go through hobbies like a child will go through a bag of Halloween candy: sorting, arranging, planning and then finally diving right into everything and coming out only with memories and a tummy ache.
What is this all leading up to you might ask? Because I know you don't want to hear about every single project lying around my room I'll just describe my most recent re-undertaking: knitting.
Oh, that's not so special, I know. My mother has been making desperate attempts at teaching me since I was a young'un with fingers the shape of polish sausages and sometimes just as greasy. It didn't work out then, I didn't have the patience or the nimbleness of finger that comes with age and the loss of baby fat.
I'm ready to try again as my complaints about Twitchy Fingers have been answered by a resounding cry for the arts of knitting and crocheting.
I'm trying to be thrifty about it. I plan on bothering my mother to break out her needles so I don't have to buy my own for now and since it's summer I shall be perusing garage sales. I have also obtained my instruction from the trusty interweb and books from the library.
Let's see how long this ones lasts; my fingers are - for lack of a better word - flighty. Hopefully the yarn and needles won't end up in a tangle around my partially finished model of the U.S.S. Constitution.
No comments:
Post a Comment