Yes, my friends, mes chèrs chèrs amis, I was roughing it and I was loving it. Granted, there are times when you have to forgo bathing because doing so would leave you with an ever so small attack of hypothermia but apart from that and the ever-insects, it was fantastic. I cannot post all the photos here because, that would just be a little much. But I shall get them up on a small side album as soon as possible (because I know you're dying to see my oh-so-artistic photography). I'm not very good at describing whole expanses of nature in text however, there are a few things:
1) The way white sand can both burn the soles of your feet to a crisp and reduce your toes to quivering icicles in the same day. It is quite astounding but hard to appreciate when you're trying to create a rock path from the tent to the shade.
3) There are many deer tracks, but no deer. Honestly, you'd think that since we made all that effort to come visit them they could at least make an appearance. Silly deer.
4) There is a species of bird, it's very rare, that only exists at approximately 5 o'clock in the morning. The purpose of this species of aviary delight is to make as much noise as possible for the better part of the morning and then vanish before one can obtain a shotgun.
5) Apart from the birds, I can sleep in a tent. It feels great. As long as no one is there in the morning to see what humidity and an air mattress does to my hair. It's very special.
For now I shall leave you with those thoughts. For the first time since I turned 13 and didn't want to spend a minute more in the presence of my family than I had to by law I thoroughly enjoyed camping. I missed it, and I'm glad I went. The only problem is, how can you go back to the sounds of sirens, traffic, neighbors and aeroplanes when all you've had for the past weekend is nights on the lake and a full sky of stars?
That being said, I really did miss plumbing of any kind, and the ability to make tasty tasty food without having to go and chop down a small rain forest.
No comments:
Post a Comment