During this past week I've been doing a lot of walk-thinking. If I'm going to be walking a great deal then I might as well put it to productive use - reading while walking has its' hazards.
With nothing particular to think about the mind often turns to the abstract, and aided by music it can go nearly anywhere. As the mind wanders at the same time as I do, I fall to thinking of lost moments. It's those moments that we miss because we have other things to do, or because we move too quickly.
When I see a ticket to a football game lying at the edge of a sidewalk, I think about how it came to be lost. Did it fall from a pocket as its bearer hopped up the hill in celebration of victory? Or was it cast dejectedly aside? I would hate to think that the ticket was lost prior to the match, but if such was the case, what became of that night?
Walking along the top of a mountain gives way to thoughts of life elsewhere. The music piped into my head transfers graceful qualities onto otherwise mundane activities. I watched five people step off the sidewalk and sail between oncoming cars. How can jaywalking be beautiful?
I'm obviously in an odd mood when I think like this. But odd moods are the stuff of later brilliance, and we all need a little brilliance now and then. When I watch people going about their days from a distance, I feel like I'm borrowing their moments, and even though I can't remember all of them long enough to describe them, they become special to me at the time.
If some stranger's actions change my day in some manner, is it possible that unbeknown to me, some other person is taking one of my moments into their head and thinking about me for a split second? It's nice to think that I might not be the only one who ponders in this manner.
No comments:
Post a Comment