September 12, 2011

Reasons to Carry Change on Campus

I've been diligently packing my own lunches in an effort to save for exchange studies. There are days where my meals are somewhat sparse. It's days like these that I am most glad for the coins lying dormant in my wallet.

Reason One for carrying change on campus: SASS (an acronym I just coined) Student Associations Selling Snacks.
And what glorious snacks they are too. As I wandered along looking to find hot water for my packet oatmeal (yes, that's lunch), I happened to spy several people passing me bearing some kind of treat wrapped in a newspaper cone. I was not about to live in curiosity, I sought the source.
Minutes later I was the proud owner of three beautiful samosas, drizzled in sweet sauce (of some ambiguous red-brown colour) and wrapped in my very own newspaper cone. Such savoury delights beat packet oatmeal any day. I paused between classes to take in some sun and enjoy my meal. Never before have I been more glad for the Anthropology Student's Association, and for the tooney* sitting unspent in my wallet.

That might be the one and only reason I continue to carry change on campus. You never know when something delicious might be a few errant coins away. Oh, and it keeps me from buying subsidized food.

Did I mention I was going on exchange? I might have. Well, I am so ... surprise!  It's not for another year but there will be plenty to talk about until that point (and don't think I won't, my friends).

*For those not in the know: Tooney - Canadian coin valuing two Canadian Dollars. Also, it's two colours and has a Polar Bear on it.

No comments: